Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Deep and Gentle Sigh


Godliness with content- ment is great gain.
1 Timothy 6:6

Continuing with the same thought…contentment. Knowing that our lives are good, pleasing to Him. Not striving, wondering, am I holy enough? Am I doing enough?Am I good enough?

At some point in life, one has to come to the conclusion that His grace is sufficient. I can do nothing to make myself presentable to God, except by clothing myself with His redemptive robes of grace.

And yes, it produces contentment. This is a word that may conjure up a meek, tame, definition, yet, personally from a spiritual perspective, it is more powerful than words like “overcomer, more than conquerors, victorious over sin”. I realize that these too are Biblical terms, but to me, these are action words, and sometimes we have a tendency to take those action words and make them into “works”.

I opened my Everyday Blessings devotional by Max Lucado today and he had this to say:


When we surrender to God the cumbersome sack of discontentment, we don’t just give up something; we gain something. God replaces it with a lightweight, tailor made, sorrow resistant attache’ of gratitude.
What will you gain with contentment? You may gain your marriage. You may gain precious hours with your children. You may gain joy.

Contentment yields a certain ease of mind, a gentle sigh, a resignation to the fact that God is the One who has done the work through the cross for us. It has taken me a while to get to the point of contentment in my life. It is a feeling of : “Here I am Lord, and this is who I am. And You still love me? Yes! You do! And I love You back.”

And that is more powerful than any realization of 'working for a living' in the Kingdom of God. I have tried that before; it was no fun. But now, sharing His grace with others is natural, peaceful, with no hint of punching that religious clock or putting on some religious hat.

Contentment. A deep and gentle sigh. It sounds pretty simple, yet for me it is very substantive and very profound.


The Hatter