Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Nearness of God




But as for me, the nearness of God is my good;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
That I may tell of all Thy works.
Ps. 73:28

This has always been a favorite scripture of mine. It has meant much more to me lately, as I have discovered something that was there all the time, or should I say He was there all the time. I've also discovered that I have my own self to blame for not experiencing a closeness to God at times in my life. His encompassing love and grace has always been there; however it has been my tendency to get entangled in the distractions and worries of the world, which have kept me from experiencing His wonderous friendship.

Oh, these entanglements start out in our lives first as a piece of thread, develop into string, then rope, and eventually barbed wire. Unfortunately, I tend to get to the barbed wire stage much too often, and then like a little kid, I come running and pleading with God to be unwrapped and cleaned up.

I have been meditating on this scripture, and some of my readings have only confirmed the ever- presence of God in our lives. Here are some jewels:

Living by the gospel of grace leads us into what Teilhard de Chardin called the divine milieu–a God-filled, Christ-soaked universe. A world charged with the grandeur of God. How do we live in the presence of the living God? In wonder, amazed by the traces of God all around us.
–Brennan Manning

God is over all things, under all things, outside all, within but not enclosed, without but not excluded, above but not raised up; below but not depressed; wholly above, presiding; wholly beneath, sustaining; wholly within, filling.
–Hildebert of Lavardin

God is present, near [man], next to him, and this God sees him and knows him through and through. At this point faith begins, and while it may go on to include a thousand other wonderful truths, these all refer back to the truth that God is, and God is here.
–A. W. Tozer (Read the 10/04/06 devotional on worship)

What a joy to know that the nearness of God is my good and I can rejoice by telling of His works in my life! I close with a quote from a colorful character in American history, and I believe in his words; they speak of the love of life that we can all share with youthful enthusiasm, knowing He is always there!

A man does not grow old because he has lived a certain number of years. A man grows old when he deserts his ideal. The years may wrinkle his skin, but deserting his ideal wrinkles his soul. Preoccupations, fears, doubts, and despair are the enemies which slowly bow us toward the earth and turn us into dust before death. You will remain young as long as you are open to what is beautiful, good, and great; receptive to the messages of other men and women, of nature, and of God. If one day you should become bitter, pessimistic, and gnawed by despair, may God have mercy on your old man’s soul.
–Gen Douglas MacArthur

How blessed is the one whom thou dost choose,
And bring near to Thee, to dwell in Thy courts.

We will be sa
tisfied with the goodness of Thy house,
Thy holy temple.
Ps65: 4


His house isn’t just a building on Sunday morning. It is that dwelling place all around us, we just need to realize it.
Mark
Prov17:22