Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Water Colors

But just as it is written,
"Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered into the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him.

1Cor. 2:9


"Well, since I’m up...I might as well get my walk in," I thought to myself on the last day of our beach vacation. " R&R is for sleeping in, what was I doing up at 5:30? No matter—Ipod charged, Sauconys laced,ok, lets go..."

30A is a wonderful stretch of beach road on the Florida Panhandle; the beach hamlets are all along this little two lane, but the best characteristic of this well traveled path is the bike/jogging lane that parallels the road through every locale, Seaside, Seagrove, Grayton Beach, and a number of other seaside resorts.

We love Seagrove, a sleepy hamlet that we discovered years ago. Overzealous developers built two multi-story condos, and the city fathers put a stop to that, no building can be over 4 stories now. If you could tear those two towers down, it would still have the same feel that it did when I was a kid when we played on Grayton Beach, a few miles down 30A.

A mile or so into my walk, I felt something tugging me to the left, drawing me down the public boardwalk to the beach. I have been around these beaches all of my life, but after leaning over the weather worn wooden rail gazing at the water, I began to worship God for His beautiful creation.

My thoughts went back to my childhood... as we neared the water, my brother, sister, and I would go into a great competition of anticipation, to be the one who would see the blue-green mass first. "There it is!" one of us would yell, in actuality, it was probably all at the same time. I’ll bet Mom and Pop were smiling in the front seat. What wonderful family times were spent at the Gulf!

The water that morning had this special color that is almost indescribable. I have been told that the emerald coloring has to do with the sugar white sand, as the reflection of the suns’s rays cause this most gallant of greens. And the sand... Yankees who see these beaches for the first time compare it to a freshly fallen snow. Because it is so white, it is never hot to the touch, but it will play havoc on your eyes with a brilliant reflection that makes sunglasses mandatory.

The dawn breakers were small, turning lazily in the shallows, much like Flipper and his friend off in the distance where the water changes to a peaceful shade of blue. The white foam blended nicely with the sand, partly soaking in, partly retreating slowly with the gentle undertow.

Can you"spell" the sound that the breakers make? I tried that morning, but started laughing to myself, because every time I thought I had it figured out phonetically, another one would slowly hit the shallows and the sound would change. As the sun peeked up over the horizon, splashing the surface with silver glitter, I swallowed hard.

"Thank you, Father for this moment," was my prayer. "I can’t even find the words to describe how I feel about this beautiful creation of Yours."

It was then that I heard that still, small voice saying, "There are colors that you have yet to see. There are sounds that you have yet to hear. Wait till you see what I have prepared for you in heaven."

It is no wonder John fell at His feet as a dead man after his description of the Alpha and Omega in the first chapter of Revelation. Take a few minutes and read that description of the Lord!

Getting up early while on vacation has its rewards. Sleeping in? Not so much. Thank you Lord, for waking me and searing this beautiful scene in my memory!




Mark



Prov 17:22