Saturday, August 26, 2006

Bad News, Good News (Words In Red)

"But the angel said to them, Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you GOOD NEWS of great joy which will be for all the people..."
Luke 2:10


I raise my hands, bow my head,
I'm finding more and more truth in the words written in red.
They tell me that there's more to life than just what I can see.
Oh I believe.


Songwriter: Craig Wiseman
Performed by Brooks and Dunn

I scanned the news quite by accident recently on TV. That is a strange statement for me, as I was a news hound prior to a major life changing event (See "Friends" blog 7/26/06). My drives were full of talk radio, my evenings full of cable news, and my life was full of consternation over events both in our country and around the world. Too much of one thing, not good. I became a negative byproduct of the negative stuff that I continually fed into my mind, and felt like in some odd way, my consistent worry regarding current events was actually important. How ridiculous.

I have made a cursory glance at the latest "creep of the week" story, the John Mark Karr show. As I scanned by the 4 cable news channels at the top of an hour one evening, this freakish mannequin appeared on each successive channel as I zipped by. How sickening that this disgusting person has become the lead story on every cable news channel in America. Another quick stop at one of my old staple channels, Fox News, had a reporter on the phone, whispering back to news central, as he was seated in front of this bizarre man on the airliner as he was being transported back to America:

(Hushed tone) "He’s just carrying on a normal conversation, Brian, and has had his snack on the plane, the movie (whatever–I can’t recall) is playing now...."

"Thank you, our reporter on the spot with this Fox News exclusive, our man sitting in the seat right in front of John Mark Karr."

This has become "exclusive" news in the 24 hour news cycle. Didn’t take but a few clicks and I was back on TV Land. Mayberry, North Carolina has much more reality to me now than this garbage.

You don’t know how glad I am that God delivered me from this terrible habit. Truly BAD NEWS. The diet of your senses and your spirit will eventually destroy or save you, and I was in danger of a bad news overload. There is, of course, scriptural references to back this up. It happens to be some of those words in red from Luke 12:34:
"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

Backing up a few verses, Jesus addressed the worry thing in verses 29-32:

"And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying.
For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom."

It is amazing just how many daily toils I face are addressed in the words written in red. Truly GOOD NEWS.


My prayer again O Lord:

I raise my hands, bow my head,
I'm finding more and more truth in the
words written in red.
They tell me that there's more to life than just what I can see,
Oh I believe.

Mark
Prov 17:22