Friday, September 01, 2006

The Grace Diet


And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.
2Cor. 12:9




My friend John made it Christmas in September, as I found two jewels on the front porch. One, the Ragamuffin Gospel, by Brennan Manning, had words that literally danced off the page and into my heart. As one who has been a "works salvation", little engine that could, "hope I will make it" believer, learning to walk in the complete understanding of His grace is a new and living thing. Here is what Mr. Manning has to say:

The bending of the mind by the powers of this world has twisted the gospel of grace into religious bondage and distorted the image of God into an eternal, small-minded bookkeeper. The Christian community resembles a Wall Street exchange of works wherein the elite are honored and the ordinary ignored. Love is stifled, freedom shackled, and self righteousness fastened. The institutional church has become a wounder of the healers rather than a healer of the wounders.

Lord, help me rediscover the simple grace that this young, naive believer experienced. My prayer is that the sufficiency of His grace would continue to satisfy me....and you!









Mark
Prov 17:22