Saturday, November 29, 2008

Attention Wal Mart Savages!

Wanting to release Jesus, Pilate appealed to them again. But they kept shouting, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"
Luke 23:20-21
It is not often that I rant on my blog. Yesterday’s incident at Wal-Mart in Long Island left me saddened and outraged as a man was trampled to death by a mob of greedy, selfish, savages who cared for nothing more than saving a few lousy bucks on a TV.

The callousness of the event astounded me; the utter disregard for this man after the event and the anger of the crowd when they were told that the store would be closing because of his death showed the depravity of man in all its glory.

The article highlights a Samsung 50-inch Plasma HDTV for $798 that seemed to be the big ticket item that everyone lusted after. Out of curiousity, I googled this item this morning. A few mouse clicks rendered prices at $797, $799, and $899 at different retailers. Let’s say the lower prices were sold out. Was saving a lousy Benji ($100) worth the price in exchange for this man’s life? A cop or a soldier wakes up each morning knowing it could be his last; it comes with the territory. But a part time Wal Mart employee?

We hear all the time that people are getting more hard hearted, more callous, more violent. Yet when I think about the Man whose birth we celebrate at this time of the year, I am reminded of the behavior of the mob surrounding His death. Even the ethically challenged Pilate tried to reason with the crowd, but they cried out, “Crucify Him!” As Jesus was asking His Father to “forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing”, the ones below the cross ignored him, casting lots for his clothes. Human depravity is not exclusive to 2008, the first Black Friday happened over two thousand years ago. Bargain shoppers at the foot of the cross.

The great debate over the nature of man has been going on for centuries. Secular Humanists tend to think that man is basically good, and people of faith believe that only God can save them from their depraved sinful state. I know some readers will disagree with me, but I line up with the latter. Horrific incidents from the crucifixion to a Wal-Mart in Long Island convince me of this.

I try to focus on inspir- ational topics, but I felt a need to vent a little. Here’s hoping that our holidays are sacred, and unlike Judas, we won’t sell Jesus out for thirty pieces of silver.

Mark